How to split a GPX track file into several files of N trackpoints each? The 2019 Stack Overflow Developer Survey Results Are In Announcing the arrival of Valued Associate #679: Cesar Manara Planned maintenance scheduled April 17/18, 2019 at 00:00UTC (8:00pm US/Eastern)How to build a geographic database of GPS logs?Cleaning/editing GPX (tracks) files recorded from GPS device in QGIS?How can I edit gpx tracks, property timestamp and waypoints?Load multiple GPX files to Leaflet mapDynamically change Leaflet layerHow to calculate location at given time from GPX trackMerge multiple GPX files, only keeping tracks?Can GPX Files Contain More Than 1 Track?Merging tracks from multiple GPX files into a single track?GPX Track Information - time stamp of track

What is the role of 'For' here?

Presidential Pardon

Can withdrawing asylum be illegal?

What is the padding with red substance inside of steak packaging?

Word for: a synonym with a positive connotation?

Didn't get enough time to take a Coding Test - what to do now?

Why can't devices on different VLANs, but on the same subnet, communicate?

How do I design a circuit to convert a 100 mV and 50 Hz sine wave to a square wave?

"... to apply for a visa" or "... and applied for a visa"?

How did passengers keep warm on sail ships?

The following signatures were invalid: EXPKEYSIG 1397BC53640DB551

Simulating Exploding Dice

Student Loan from years ago pops up and is taking my salary

What's the point in a preamp?

Is every episode of "Where are my Pants?" identical?

What to do when moving next to a bird sanctuary with a loosely-domesticated cat?

Does Parliament hold absolute power in the UK?

What force causes entropy to increase?

Is there a way to generate uniformly distributed points on a sphere from a fixed amount of random real numbers per point?

Why not take a picture of a closer black hole?

Can each chord in a progression create its own key?

Can I visit the Trinity College (Cambridge) library and see some of their rare books

Why did Peik Lin say, "I'm not an animal"?

Did the new image of black hole confirm the general theory of relativity?



How to split a GPX track file into several files of N trackpoints each?



The 2019 Stack Overflow Developer Survey Results Are In
Announcing the arrival of Valued Associate #679: Cesar Manara
Planned maintenance scheduled April 17/18, 2019 at 00:00UTC (8:00pm US/Eastern)How to build a geographic database of GPS logs?Cleaning/editing GPX (tracks) files recorded from GPS device in QGIS?How can I edit gpx tracks, property timestamp and waypoints?Load multiple GPX files to Leaflet mapDynamically change Leaflet layerHow to calculate location at given time from GPX trackMerge multiple GPX files, only keeping tracks?Can GPX Files Contain More Than 1 Track?Merging tracks from multiple GPX files into a single track?GPX Track Information - time stamp of track



.everyoneloves__top-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__mid-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__bot-mid-leaderboard:empty margin-bottom:0;








2















I have some GPX track files, each containing tracks with thousands of trackpoints.



I need to split those files into multiple ones, each with 500 (or more, accordingly) points each.



Unfortunately I cannot simplify those tracks, I really need to split them.



As long as I could find, gpsbabel isn't able to do so. I am open to use any tool either on Linux (preferably) or Windows as well.










share|improve this question






























    2















    I have some GPX track files, each containing tracks with thousands of trackpoints.



    I need to split those files into multiple ones, each with 500 (or more, accordingly) points each.



    Unfortunately I cannot simplify those tracks, I really need to split them.



    As long as I could find, gpsbabel isn't able to do so. I am open to use any tool either on Linux (preferably) or Windows as well.










    share|improve this question


























      2












      2








      2


      1






      I have some GPX track files, each containing tracks with thousands of trackpoints.



      I need to split those files into multiple ones, each with 500 (or more, accordingly) points each.



      Unfortunately I cannot simplify those tracks, I really need to split them.



      As long as I could find, gpsbabel isn't able to do so. I am open to use any tool either on Linux (preferably) or Windows as well.










      share|improve this question
















      I have some GPX track files, each containing tracks with thousands of trackpoints.



      I need to split those files into multiple ones, each with 500 (or more, accordingly) points each.



      Unfortunately I cannot simplify those tracks, I really need to split them.



      As long as I could find, gpsbabel isn't able to do so. I am open to use any tool either on Linux (preferably) or Windows as well.







      gpx






      share|improve this question















      share|improve this question













      share|improve this question




      share|improve this question








      edited May 12 '16 at 20:25









      PolyGeo♦

      53.9k1782246




      53.9k1782246










      asked May 11 '16 at 13:48









      DakatineDakatine

      107312




      107312




















          1 Answer
          1






          active

          oldest

          votes


















          1














          Surprisingly it seems gpsbabel indeed can't do it. But at least it can help by first converting to csv. Then I split the result with Unix' split and convert back to gpx with gpsbabel. A similar strategy might work with PowerShell, but I don't know if it has a split equivalent. Here is the bash function I used:



          splitTrack() 
          # $1 shall be the gpx file to split
          pfx="$1%.*-"
          gpsbabel -i gpx -f "$1" -t -o csv -F -



          EDIT: Added hint from comments about getting track points out instead of way points.






          share|improve this answer

























          • Uhm, that generates files with plenty of waypoints though, rather than trackpoints. I tried the transform options described here: gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-1.5.1/filter_transform.html but I was unsuccessful. Would you please have any tip about how to convert the CSV temporary file into a proper track rather than a collection of waypoints? Thanks again

            – Dakatine
            Oct 16 '18 at 14:49






          • 1





            found it! gpsbabel -i csv -f "$f" -x transform,trk=wpt -x nuketypes,waypoints -o gpx -F "$fout"

            – Dakatine
            Oct 16 '18 at 15:01











          Your Answer








          StackExchange.ready(function()
          var channelOptions =
          tags: "".split(" "),
          id: "79"
          ;
          initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

          StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
          // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
          if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
          StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
          createEditor();
          );

          else
          createEditor();

          );

          function createEditor()
          StackExchange.prepareEditor(
          heartbeatType: 'answer',
          autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
          convertImagesToLinks: false,
          noModals: true,
          showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
          reputationToPostImages: null,
          bindNavPrevention: true,
          postfix: "",
          imageUploader:
          brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
          contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
          allowUrls: true
          ,
          onDemand: true,
          discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
          ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
          );



          );













          draft saved

          draft discarded


















          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fgis.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f193168%2fhow-to-split-a-gpx-track-file-into-several-files-of-n-trackpoints-each%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest















          Required, but never shown

























          1 Answer
          1






          active

          oldest

          votes








          1 Answer
          1






          active

          oldest

          votes









          active

          oldest

          votes






          active

          oldest

          votes









          1














          Surprisingly it seems gpsbabel indeed can't do it. But at least it can help by first converting to csv. Then I split the result with Unix' split and convert back to gpx with gpsbabel. A similar strategy might work with PowerShell, but I don't know if it has a split equivalent. Here is the bash function I used:



          splitTrack() 
          # $1 shall be the gpx file to split
          pfx="$1%.*-"
          gpsbabel -i gpx -f "$1" -t -o csv -F -



          EDIT: Added hint from comments about getting track points out instead of way points.






          share|improve this answer

























          • Uhm, that generates files with plenty of waypoints though, rather than trackpoints. I tried the transform options described here: gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-1.5.1/filter_transform.html but I was unsuccessful. Would you please have any tip about how to convert the CSV temporary file into a proper track rather than a collection of waypoints? Thanks again

            – Dakatine
            Oct 16 '18 at 14:49






          • 1





            found it! gpsbabel -i csv -f "$f" -x transform,trk=wpt -x nuketypes,waypoints -o gpx -F "$fout"

            – Dakatine
            Oct 16 '18 at 15:01















          1














          Surprisingly it seems gpsbabel indeed can't do it. But at least it can help by first converting to csv. Then I split the result with Unix' split and convert back to gpx with gpsbabel. A similar strategy might work with PowerShell, but I don't know if it has a split equivalent. Here is the bash function I used:



          splitTrack() 
          # $1 shall be the gpx file to split
          pfx="$1%.*-"
          gpsbabel -i gpx -f "$1" -t -o csv -F -



          EDIT: Added hint from comments about getting track points out instead of way points.






          share|improve this answer

























          • Uhm, that generates files with plenty of waypoints though, rather than trackpoints. I tried the transform options described here: gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-1.5.1/filter_transform.html but I was unsuccessful. Would you please have any tip about how to convert the CSV temporary file into a proper track rather than a collection of waypoints? Thanks again

            – Dakatine
            Oct 16 '18 at 14:49






          • 1





            found it! gpsbabel -i csv -f "$f" -x transform,trk=wpt -x nuketypes,waypoints -o gpx -F "$fout"

            – Dakatine
            Oct 16 '18 at 15:01













          1












          1








          1







          Surprisingly it seems gpsbabel indeed can't do it. But at least it can help by first converting to csv. Then I split the result with Unix' split and convert back to gpx with gpsbabel. A similar strategy might work with PowerShell, but I don't know if it has a split equivalent. Here is the bash function I used:



          splitTrack() 
          # $1 shall be the gpx file to split
          pfx="$1%.*-"
          gpsbabel -i gpx -f "$1" -t -o csv -F -



          EDIT: Added hint from comments about getting track points out instead of way points.






          share|improve this answer















          Surprisingly it seems gpsbabel indeed can't do it. But at least it can help by first converting to csv. Then I split the result with Unix' split and convert back to gpx with gpsbabel. A similar strategy might work with PowerShell, but I don't know if it has a split equivalent. Here is the bash function I used:



          splitTrack() 
          # $1 shall be the gpx file to split
          pfx="$1%.*-"
          gpsbabel -i gpx -f "$1" -t -o csv -F -



          EDIT: Added hint from comments about getting track points out instead of way points.







          share|improve this answer














          share|improve this answer



          share|improve this answer








          edited Apr 7 at 9:01

























          answered May 28 '17 at 17:58









          HaraldHarald

          1263




          1263












          • Uhm, that generates files with plenty of waypoints though, rather than trackpoints. I tried the transform options described here: gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-1.5.1/filter_transform.html but I was unsuccessful. Would you please have any tip about how to convert the CSV temporary file into a proper track rather than a collection of waypoints? Thanks again

            – Dakatine
            Oct 16 '18 at 14:49






          • 1





            found it! gpsbabel -i csv -f "$f" -x transform,trk=wpt -x nuketypes,waypoints -o gpx -F "$fout"

            – Dakatine
            Oct 16 '18 at 15:01

















          • Uhm, that generates files with plenty of waypoints though, rather than trackpoints. I tried the transform options described here: gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-1.5.1/filter_transform.html but I was unsuccessful. Would you please have any tip about how to convert the CSV temporary file into a proper track rather than a collection of waypoints? Thanks again

            – Dakatine
            Oct 16 '18 at 14:49






          • 1





            found it! gpsbabel -i csv -f "$f" -x transform,trk=wpt -x nuketypes,waypoints -o gpx -F "$fout"

            – Dakatine
            Oct 16 '18 at 15:01
















          Uhm, that generates files with plenty of waypoints though, rather than trackpoints. I tried the transform options described here: gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-1.5.1/filter_transform.html but I was unsuccessful. Would you please have any tip about how to convert the CSV temporary file into a proper track rather than a collection of waypoints? Thanks again

          – Dakatine
          Oct 16 '18 at 14:49





          Uhm, that generates files with plenty of waypoints though, rather than trackpoints. I tried the transform options described here: gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-1.5.1/filter_transform.html but I was unsuccessful. Would you please have any tip about how to convert the CSV temporary file into a proper track rather than a collection of waypoints? Thanks again

          – Dakatine
          Oct 16 '18 at 14:49




          1




          1





          found it! gpsbabel -i csv -f "$f" -x transform,trk=wpt -x nuketypes,waypoints -o gpx -F "$fout"

          – Dakatine
          Oct 16 '18 at 15:01





          found it! gpsbabel -i csv -f "$f" -x transform,trk=wpt -x nuketypes,waypoints -o gpx -F "$fout"

          – Dakatine
          Oct 16 '18 at 15:01

















          draft saved

          draft discarded
















































          Thanks for contributing an answer to Geographic Information Systems Stack Exchange!


          • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

          But avoid …


          • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

          • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

          To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




          draft saved


          draft discarded














          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fgis.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f193168%2fhow-to-split-a-gpx-track-file-into-several-files-of-n-trackpoints-each%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest















          Required, but never shown





















































          Required, but never shown














          Required, but never shown












          Required, but never shown







          Required, but never shown

































          Required, but never shown














          Required, but never shown












          Required, but never shown







          Required, but never shown







          Popular posts from this blog

          Export of reprojected layer from GEE fails Planned maintenance scheduled April 17/18, 2019 at 00:00UTC (8:00pm US/Eastern) Announcing the arrival of Valued Associate #679: Cesar Manara Unicorn Meta Zoo #1: Why another podcast?Iterate over features and years to export images for each feature-yearEarth engine reproject: why does reprojecting a pixel at 30m scale gives me pixels with an area of ~550?Exporting slope raster for entire country in GEEGEE Landsat SR year composite // mask cloud / shadow out w/ other method than quality pixel"export region contains no valid (un-masked) pixels - Google Earth EgineGoogle Earth Engine, how to distinguish between rivers/streams and ponds/lakes in a water maskPython script tool fails when processing rainfall data from Google Earth EngineGoogle Earth Engine Error: Number of pixels requested from Image.load exceeds the maximum allowedCloudfree images in small area from Sentinel-2Using Image exportToDrive in Google Earth Engine?

          Creating closest line along the point''s azimuth using PostgreSQL Planned maintenance scheduled April 17/18, 2019 at 00:00UTC (8:00pm US/Eastern) Announcing the arrival of Valued Associate #679: Cesar Manara Unicorn Meta Zoo #1: Why another podcast?Drawing line between points at specific distance in PostGIS?How to efficiently find the closest point over the dateline?How to find the nearest point by using PostGIS function?PostGIS nearest point with LATERAL JOIN in PostgreSQL 9.3+Creating a table and inserting selected streets using plpgsql functionsCreating a table that stores Distances and other columnSaving select query results (year wise) from PostgreSQL/PostGIS to text filesWhat is the information behind this geometry?How to give start and end vertex ids dynamically in pgr_dijkstra?Point to Polygon nearest distance DS_distance is not using geography index & knn <-> or <#> does not give result in orderLine to point conversion with start point and end point detection?

          Magento 1.9 observer on only new product added ( no updated product )Admin Create New Order ObserverObserver checkout_cart_product_add_after get product quantity in cartHow can I differentiate between product creation and saving existing products?How to get the original price Product SaveBeforeMagento Observer for Admin Sales order Address updateHow do i get quantity in a product_save_after event observer magento2?Using observer event to get updated customer infoSave product observer - detect availabilityEvent not triggered when new product added in admin : Magento 2magento 1.9 observer on quantity product change